Top Tips For Sellers
You’re thinking of selling, most likely you will have invested many thousands of pounds in your home. Now that time has come to sell a little further investment could make all the difference.
This investment may be your time, it may be money or both. What is certain that investing in the selling process yourself along with your agent and their advice will undoubtedly help effect a sale more readily and most likely at a better price.
Here are some tips based on over thirty years industry experience that have proven to be very successful and could help you sell your home too.
- See Your Home As Your Buyers Would – Take photos of your property, particularly the inside. Especially when viewed in larger format they will give you a fresh perspective your property. Rather than seen through your own eyes the camera as they say never lies. The photos will enable you to look objectively at each room and make adjustments accordingly.
- Ask A Friend & Your Agent – We Brits are notoriously house proud. This can sometimes get in the way of our seeing the negatives of our own homes. We all know that someone (more than one if you can) who isn’t afraid to tell us the truth. Get them to give you their honest feedback about your home. Yours agent sells houses for a living, they know from years of viewing feedback the common issues buyers raise of things that put them off about a house, so ask them to comment. Remember whatever they say don’t take it personally but do try to take it on board.
- De-Clutter / Re-Arrange – Given the plethora of TV property programmes these days then this process is now more commonly accepted and practiced. It is however extremely important to do it. You don’t have to be a Feng Shui expert or an interior designer. Simple things like having just one room full of “stuff” instead of having a number of cluttered rooms. Doors that don’t open fully because of the unit, wardrobe or sofa behind them can immediately convey to a buyer that a room and possibly the house is too small! Rooms that are used for an unusual purpose, consider where possible dressing them to sell as they are intended or more conventional use. These are simple, effective but not always apparent changes that really make a difference.
- First Impressions – Are absolutely vital, not just for viewings but especially for when your agent comes to take your photographs. How your house looks for your photos will be captured and preserved for all to see on internet. This is your biggest and best advert so help your agent help you by presenting your home to its best advantage. This also most definitely applies to the front elevation of the property. Does it have “kerb appeal”? Do trees block the vista of the house and or take natural light from a room? The decorative condition of the windows, soffits and fascias is key to a first impression. Similarly focus on the entrance hall as this is the first and last room viewers will see.
- Feed Their Senses – Its not just how a house looks that is important! How a property smells is very important too. As consumers we all like to think we are street smart, savvy, not taken in by the smell of fresh coffee, cakes baking in the oven or the latest room fragrance device. The truth is “we are”. It is a “natural” reaction and like many of a prospective buyer it may be an unconscious one. Remove the source of less attractive odours too. In addition fresh flowers are a real plus, colour co-ordinated to a room and not too fragrant and they can work wonders.
- What Should I Do With The Animals on Viewings? As much as your pet is one of if not the most loved member of your household, some buyers may be scared of your pet or put off the house at least by their presence. It may however not be practical to take your dog out for a walk every viewing, or easy to catch your cat to pop them in their basket each time someone is coming round. If you think your pet could be a hindrance on viewings then why not ask your agents to check with the prospective buyer before they come as to whether they are ok with animals.